This article contains spoilers from the most recent DCEU film. You have been warned.
- "In this trident, resides the power... of Atlantis. If you seek my power, journey beyond the edge of the world to the hidden sea. In the wrong hands, it would bring destruction, but in the hands of the true heir... it would unite all our kingdoms. Above and below."
The Trident of Atlantis is an ancient Atlantean relic wielded by the ancient king of Atlantis, Atlan. The trident was later sought after by Orm and Arthur Curry, as its power determined who the ruler of Atlantis should be.
The Trident of Atlantis was forged with Poseidon steel by the finest smiths, in where today is the Sahara before it became a desert. In an experiment conducted by Atlan, it caused Atlantis to sink. However, its power also allowed the Atlanteans to become a thriving underwater civilization. Atlan went into self-imposed exile over the cataclysm, and died while still holding the trident on his throne in the Hidden Sea, where it is guarded by Karathen, until it is retrieved by Aquaman.
The Trident of Atlantis is an incredibly powerful weapon, which can only be handled by the true heir of Atlantis. With it, the king will possess the power of Atlantis, as well as the ability to command every creature in the oceans. This was demonstrated when Arthur, the true heir of Atlantis, took the trident, could see perfectly every creature of the ocean on the planet Earth.
Having been created from an extremely dense metal, the trident is an extremely durable weapon, which shows no apparent damage after the extensive use that Atlan gave it.
In addition, it is very likely that it is also magical in nature, like many tridents of Atlantis.
Behind the scenes
- In the comics, the Dead King's Scepter was the original weapon of Atlan, later known as the Dead King, and was forged alongside six other Atlantean relics.
- In the comics, Aquaman's trident has possessed numerous magical capabilities, effectively serving as a magical conduit to produce a variety of effects.
- As such, in the New 52 comic storyline Throne of Atlantis, it's stated that only Atlantean royalty can hold the trident due to an enchantment placed upon it.
- In the Injustice 2 Mobile game, the Trident can be collected as one of the five gear pieces of "King of Atlantis Aquaman". When equipped, it gives him bonus critical attack chance. Regardless of whether he has it equipped, King of Atlantis Aquaman can be seen wielding it in-game.
- US residents have the limited-time chance to obtain a real life copy of the Trident by entering a contest by DC Universe.