The Supersuit is the costume of Superman from his native homeworld. It consists of a crimson red cape and boots, a black belt device over a blue tight-fitting skinsuit with the S-shaped chest emblem of the House of El which was the symbol for 'hope' on Krypton. Superman wears the costume primarily in an attempt to conceal his earthly identity.
HistoryKal-El was given the suit by his father Jor-El's AI programming inside the Fortress of Solitude. Kal-El took the suit as a rite of passage and wore it during his training to truly test his abilities in the Arctic. Subsequently, he has worn it when protecting the planet Earth from threats, notably during General Zod's Kryptonian forces' invasion on Earth during the Battle of Metropolis, during his brief duel with Batman throughout the Duel at Gotham Port, and his final fight during the Battle against Doomsday. The S-shaped House of El glyph on the suit was what ultimately inspired the Lois Lane and the US military to nickname Kal-El "Superman." The Supersuit was damaged, however, when Doomsday plunged his arm bone protrusion through Superman's chest, ripping right through the suit and cape, seemingly killing him.
The suit and cape are constructed from an unknown Kryptonian material that is shown to be incredibly resistant to damage and tear, being roughly just as invulnerable as Superman himself, hence only beings of tremendous power, like other Kryptonians, Olympian Gods, New Gods, or Doomsday, could even slightly damage it. Furthermore, due to their unique properties, the Sword of Athena and Trident of Poseidon are some of the few weapons able to bypass the suit's durability.
- The suit has Kryptonian inscriptions throughout it, namely on the shield, shoulders, and belt.
- The design of the suit is reminiscent of the one seen in All-Star Superman.
- The suit is shown to be fabricated in the Fortress of Solitude.
- This is the first live action version of the suit to not have briefs on it.
- The iconic undergarmet was used due to Superman's initial debut being modelled after circus strongmen.
- This is the first live action version of the suit to feature a different version of the iconic "S"
- This version of the "S" is the Kryptonian word for 'hope'.
Behind the scenes
- David S. Goyer stated that Superman's costume is defined in this film to be an undergarment: "All the battle armor goes on top of the suits. But since Superman's a refugee, his outfit doesn't have that gear, and would make him defenseless on his own Kryptonian turf."
- The suit went through a slight upgrade between Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, with changes to its belt and gauntlets, while the overall color and musculature was boosted to move away from the darker palette.