It is suggested that this article, or a section of this article, could benefit by being expanded upon.
Steppenwolf is a member of the ancient and powerful extraterrestrial New Gods from Apokolips, the herald and second-in-command to his nephew Darkseid, and deputy leader of Apokolips's main military force of Parademons.
As millennia passed, Steppenwolf would proceed to carry out Darkseid's bidding by invading and taking over other worlds. In the process, he would encounter and battle members of the Green Lantern Corps resistance, and ultimately would prevail every time. On his first Earth stint, he easily took out and killed an alien Green Lantern who came to the aid of the Amazons.
First Invasion of Earth
During the Earth invasion over 30,000 years ago, his master Darkseid ordered Steppenwolf to conquer the Earth, and he faced the united armies of Humans, Amazons and Atlanteans altogether the Olympian Gods and two Greens Lanterns sent by the Guardians of Oa for help defending earth against Steppenwolf. He used the mother boxes for transforming the earth and murdered a Green Lantern in the process, but he was defeated by Zeus and forced into retreat, leaving the mother boxes in the process and returning to Apokolips in humiliation. He was exiled shortly after. It is believed that he learned of Superman and his death when Luthor contacted him, and thus began the next invasion shortly after.
Communion of Earth
After Lex Luthor accessed Scout Ship 0344's database, he made contact with Steppenwolf on Apokolips, the New God teaching Lex of three important Mother Boxes on Earth. However, Lex was interrupted, breaking contact. On Darkseid's orders, Steppenwolf then began his journey to Earth to search for the Mother Boxes, bringing with him a vast army of Parademons.
Second Invasion of Earth
Having investigated the kidnappings and encountering a Parademon himself, Batman decides to move forward in recruiting his planned team of metahumans as he believes an invasion is coming.
Returning to Earth
Battling the Justice League
The team later receives intel from Commissioner James Gordon that the Parademons are traveling underground, and conclude that Steppenwolf's army is based in an abandoned facility. Although the group manages to rescue the kidnapped employees, the facility is flooded during combat, which traps the team until Aquaman rescues them, having decided to join them after Steppenwolf's attack on Atlantis.
Cyborg retrieves the last Mother Box from S.T.A.R. Labs for the group to analyze. Batman decides to use the Mother Box to resurrect Superman not only to help them fight Steppenwolf's army, but also to restore hope in humanity. Wonder Woman and Aquaman are hesitant about the idea, but Batman forms a secret contingency plan.
Clark Kent's body is exhumed and placed in the waters of the Kryptonian ship, and Allen provides a strong energy blast to activate the Box and resurrect Superman. Superman, however, possesses few memories, and he attacks the group after Cyborg accidentally launches a projectile at him. On the verge of being killed by Superman, Batman enacts his contingency plan: Lois Lane. Superman calms down and leaves with Lois to his family home where he reflects and tries to recover his memories.
With the last Mother Box unguarded, Steppenwolf retrieves it with ease.
The Final Battle
Without Superman to aid them, the remaining five heroes travel to a remote location in Russia, where Steppenwolf plans to unite the boxes once again and reshape the world for his lord and master. The team fights their way through the Parademons to reach Steppenwolf, although they are unable to stage a significant enough distraction for Cyborg to separate the boxes. Superman arrives and assists Flash in evacuating the city, and ultimately aids Cyborg in separating the Mother Boxes.
Following the separation, an enraged Steppenwolf enters the Apokolipian construct, where he is confronted by Superman, (who after battling both Wonder Woman and Aquaman), is easily overpowers the New God. The Kryptonian uses his ice breath to freeze Steppenwolf’s axe, which Wonder Woman shatters the weapon with her own sword.
Bleeding and thus knowing he has been defeated, he is overwhelmed with fear, thus seeing as his parademons begin to attack him. Turning on him, he fights them as he and Parademons alike, are whisked away via portal/boomtube, leaving nothing left him but only his helmet.
- "Please! We have families!"
"Why does everyone keep telling me that?"
- ―Howard and Steppenwolf[src]
Steppenwolf had become old and tired after millennia of invading and taking over other worlds. He seeks to be free of Apokolips' ruler, Darkseid, but Steppenwolf is neither foolish nor powerful enough to disobey his will or challenge him.
Steppenwolf was/is actually an extremely ruthless, destructive, dark, cold, sinister, devious, manipulative, and most of all, powerful individual from the most diabolical kind except being just a tired or old individual. He shows no fear and no mercy towards his enemies or the people he had kidnapped to know about the locations of the Mother Boxes, so he uses any kind of violence towards those people, including toward Silas Stone, thus, it proves that he is also a malicious sadist.
Steppenwolf's best-known feature is that he is a great and savage warrior from birth. Ever since he was born, much like General Zod, Steppenwolf was trained during all of his life circle to become a great warrior, allowing him to defeat enemies easily. Showing a very large lack of sympathy, Steppenwolf uses all of his strength when facing against enemies, especially against the Justice League team. In addition, Steppenwolf, like his master and nephew, Darkseid is showing a large hatred for Superman, after all, the Kryptonians are the true ultimate enemies of the planet Apokolips.
Additionally, Steppenwolf is a tyrannical individual, ruling and commanding over the Parademons with a vastly powerful iron hand, and they are showing their loyalty by accomplishing his orders.
Another best-known feature of the Apokoliptian general is that he would never give up on his goals, doing everything he can to accomplish his missions and to make his nephew be proud of him as he had always been since he already became a warrior. That means Steppenwolf is also an ambitious and raging individual, hoping to accomplish his goals at any cost to impress his master.
Being a warrior since from birth, Steppenwolf had become just like his nephew; fearsome and a formidable individual all over the galaxy following the reason that any last of the life forms which live across the universe are fearing of his personality and of his skills, however, the only fearless individuals to face against the Apokoliptian military commander are the Amazonians, the Lanterns and the humans which managed to defeat him easily for the first time.
The only thing that caused to his defeat during his war against the Justice League was showing for the first time, fear, because of the main reason that his weapon, the ax, was the source of his godly power, wielding it to destroy worlds for Darkseid alongside using the Parademons.
Powers and Abilities
- New God Physiology: As a New God, Steppenwolf is a phenomenally powerful divine being, to the point that he has conquered many planets with his army, and it took the combined might of Amazon, Atlantean, and human armies to drive Steppenwolf and his forces off of Earth during the first Apokoliptan invasion. The only known beings to at least rival his might are the combined might of several Green Lanterns, Doomsday, and the Olympian Gods, while Zeus, Ares, resurrected Superman and Darkseid are known to surpass him.
- Immortality: Steppenwolf is still alive in the 21st century, despite being over 30 millennia old.
- Super Strength: Steppenwolf has a tremendous level of superhuman strength, surpassing that of Wonder Woman, rivaled only by that of most Olympian Gods, but is himself surpassed by the likes of Zeus, Ares and Superman. Hence, he was able to overpower the Amazon and Atlantean forces, slayed an unidentified Green Lantern, overpowered Mera's water spells, and propelled Aquaman into a pillar, underwater, at great speed, thereby collapsing the Atlantean structure by smashing into Aquaman, and later to gain the upper hand in a fight with the combined might of Wonder Woman and Aquaman . He was also able to tear Cyborg's biomechatronic limbs.
- Super Leaps: Steppenwolf's incredible strength extends to his legs, making him able to jump immense vertical and horizontal distances. He can literally leap for miles, in just a single leap.
- Super Speed: Steppenwolf can move at considerable superhuman speeds, going toe-to-toe with Wonder Woman and Aquaman's speed during their final fight, even outmaneuvering them on several occasions, despite his muscular physique and heavy armor.
- Super Reflexes: Steppenwolf was able to easily catch a missile being fired at him.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Steppenwolf is incredibly durable, nearly invulnerable, as he was unfazed after numerous attacks. He was only irritated by Mera's hydrokinetic attacks, and was only slightly affected by direct blasts from Cyborg's arm cannon (though it caused him momentary burning pain). Steppenwolf could withstand to a great extent, the combined assaults of Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.
- Expert Leader: Steppenwolf, due to him being Darkseid's herald and second-in-command on Apokolips, as well as having millennia of experience invading and taking over other worlds, is an extremely skilled leader, able to successfully command a vast Parademon army in both of his attempted first invasion of Earth, with Steppenwolf's forces only being defeated when Earth amassed Amazon, Atlantean and human armies into a united force powerful enough to send him into retreat.
- Master Combatant: Steppenwolf is an extremely skilled, fierce, and formidable combatant (particularly with his fearsome Electro axe), with centuries of combat experience.
- Fear: Despite being fearsome himself and initially fearless, Steppenwolf first showed signs of fear after getting overpowered by Superman, having his axe destroyed, losing to the Justice League, and failing to invade Earth. As a result of his fear, this caused his own Parademon army to turn on and attack him. When he was without fear, perhaps as stated by Wonder Woman, his other major weakness may be his over-estimation of himself. He was incapable of defeating Wonder Woman even with the help of his Parademons. Thus, ultimately he surcame to defeat and attack from his own army. His status in unknown exactly after his final battle with Superman and the League. He is presumed to be dead. Either at the hands of the Parademons, his wounds from Wonder Woman and Aquaman, or he incurred the wrath of his nephew for his humiliating defeat.
- Electro axe (Formerly): Steppenwolf's primary offensive weapon, which the New God uses to blast and obliterate much of the area surrounding him at a given time. The ax's red-hued energy is also capable of infecting humans, turning their skin a pale grey, while lengthening and sharpening their teeth, seemingly transforming them into the zombified Parademon soldiers of Apokolips. In addition, the ax is seemingly indestructible, as it can go up against Wonder Woman's weaponry. However, it was ultimately destroyed after being frozen by Superman's Arctic breath, which made it become brittle, thus allowing Wonder Woman to shatter it with her sword.
- Aside from the unseen Darkseid, Steppenwolf is one of two main antagonists of the DC Extended Universe to survive, other being Lex Luthor.
- In an early deleted scene, Steppenwolf indeed returns to Apokolips with the Parademons. However ,he is confronted by his nephew, whose after realizing that he was defeated by Superman and his teamnates, he uses his powers to kill Steppenwolf.
- ↑ ‘Game of Thrones’ Star Ciaran Hinds Cast as ‘Justice League’ Villain Steppenwolf (Exclusive) - TheWrap
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Ciaran Hinds Reveals Steppenwolf's Main Goal - Comic Book Movie
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Justice League & Wonder Woman get new plot synopsis - Cosmic Book News
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 ‘Justice League’ Villains and Mother Boxes Teased by Zack Snyder - Collider
- ↑ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- ↑ Ciaran Hinds confirms he’s Steppenwolf in ‘Justice League’ - Batman-News
- ↑ Terrio, Chris, Whedon, Joss (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (November 17, 2017). Justice League.