A Mother Box is an other-worldly, cube-shaped piece of technology. At least three Mother Boxes are known to exist, with them originally being owned by Darkseid, but which were subsequently left in the hands of the Atlanteans, Amazons and humans.
Millennia before the Black Zero Event, the malevolent Steppenwolf and his massive Parademon army would invade Earth (on Darkseid's orders), but they were successfully fought off by the combined efforts of the Amazons, Atlanteans, and humans. Before being forced to depart, Steppenwolf would leave behind three Mother Boxes, and each of the three factions of the army that helped save the Earth would be given one of them.
Creation of Cyborg
In 1982, S.T.A.R. Labs found one of the three Mother Boxes (presumably the one that had been given to the humans several millennia ago). 33 years later, in 2015, Silas Stone attempted to perform experiments on the Mother Box in order to help his severely injured son, Victor. Though nothing seemed to work, it eventually began pulsating, and he gave it to Victor, causing it to transform and began cybernetically repairing his son's badly damaged body.
Second Invasion of Earth
Millenia later, after the death of Superman left the Earth defenseless, Steppenwolf would return to the planet through a boom tube generated by the Amazonian Mother Box. His arrival was met by Queen Hippolyta and her warriors.
- Boom Tube Generation: Mother Boxes are able to open extra-dimensional point-to-point cylindrical travel portals for transportation, primarily ussed by the New Gods of Apokolips. This was used for the arrival of Steppenwolf on the island of Themyscira.
- Biomechatronic Enhancement: A Mother Box was able to stabilize the critical condition of Victor Stone, reviving him from near-death and generating mechatronic limbs in place of the ones he had lost, as seen on the metahuman archive files collected by Lex Luthor. This process is seen to be extremely painful, as it grafts organic and inorganic parts together, effectively creating a cyborg.
- In a deleted scene called "Communion" (included in the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice), the being standing before Lex as he is about to be arrested is holding two box-like objects in each of its hands before vanishing, suggesting that they are Mother Boxes and Lex had encountered Steppenwolf.
- The Mother Box's code name is "US GOV object 6-19-82". The numbers can be interpreted as "June 1982", the month of publication of Cyborg's origin story in Tales of the New Teen Titans #1.
- ↑ Batman v Superman's Cyborg scene explained - Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ ‘Justice League': Willem Dafoe Plays a Major ‘Aquaman’ Hero - Collider
- ↑ Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- ↑ Snyder, Zack, Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (November 17, 2017). Justice League.