Mera was taken in by Queen Atlanna while her parents fought in the wars of Xebel, training her as the Queen's protégée. Over time, Mera became a prominent military figure in Atlantis, leading the Atlantean Royal Guard later in life.
- "You dare speak of Queen Atlanna that way?"
"Your 'queen' left me on my father's doorstep and never gave me another thought."
"Your mother left you to save your life! You cannot imagine how it hurt her, what it cost her. But you're not a defenseless child now. It would have been her responsibility to follow that monster to the surface and stop it. Now, it's yours."
"Then I'm gonna need something from you."
- ―Mera and Aquaman[src]
Mera arrived at an Atlantean outpost when Parademons attempted to seize the Atlantean Mother Box. Shortly afterward, the Mother Box activated, alerting her and the remaining Atlantean Royal Guard nearby. As she went to investigate, a boom tube opened, from which Steppenwolf emerged, immediately attacking the Royal Guardsmen as he made his way toward his objective. As Steppenwolf neared the podium where the Mother Box sat, Mera displaced the water around him, causing him to fall to the surface below, before collapsing the water back onto him. As the New God recovered, he charged Mera, slamming her against a nearby wall before throwing her below, knocking her unconscious.
Aquaman then joined the battle, but was unable to prevent Steppenwolf from taking the Mother Box. Afterward, Mera creates a bubble around her and Arthur so they could talk, chastising him for finally appearing on Atlantean territory. When Arthur began to leave, Mera explained that she knew his mother, Queen Atlanna. When Arthur stated that his mother abandoned him on his father's doorstep when he was a baby, Mera tells him that Atlanna would have stayed, but she left to spare Arthur's life. She explained that Atlanna wanted to stay, and leaving Arthur and his father cost her more than he could imagine.
Mera then told Arthur that he was no longer a child who couldn't defend himself, and that Steppenwolf would've been his mother's responsibility to defeat, but now the mantle passed to him.
To be added
Powers and Abilities
- Atlantean Physiology: As an Atlantean, Mera is an extremely powerful being as long as she is exposed to water.
- Superhuman Strength: Mera possesses extraordinary superhuman strength as an Atlantean.
- Superhuman Durability: Mera is incredibly durable, as she is able to withstand immense underwater pressures, as well as being slammed into a stone pillar by Steppenwolf.
- Aquatic Adaptation: Mera can survive both on land and in an underwater environment. She can be immersed indefinitely without suffering any ill effects, though, prolonged dehydration will weaken her.
- Aquatic Respiration: Mera is able to breathe underwater.
- Superhuman Speed: While underwater, Mera can swim at supersonic speeds.
- Superhuman Senses: Mera possesses enhanced senses that allow her to better navigate the underwater environment of the oceans.
- Enhanced Vision: Mera possesses enhanced vision, allowing her to see in the dark environment of the oceans. From her perspective, the oceans are brightly lit, as clear to her as if she were on land.
- Hydrokinesis: Mera possesses the ability to manipulate water freely, causing her eyes to glow bright blue whenever she uses this power. She was capable of creating a sudden breach while battling Steppenwolf, removing all the water surrounding the New God, and collapse it on him. She also possesses the ability to drain the water from others, as she did to Steppenwolf, and later performed a similar technique on Aquaman when using his sweat to activate an ancient Atlantean device. This ability causes her hands to glow with a blue aura.
- Skilled Combatant: Mera trained under Atlanna, eventually becoming a general among the Atlantean Royal Guard
- Expert Swimmer: Mera, like all Atlanteans, is able to expertly coordinate herself while underwater.