The Fortress of Solitude was a place of solace for Superman during his training. It was there that he learned of his true identity and heritage.
Superman's Fortress of Solitude is an abandoned Kryptonian Scout Ship (designated 0344) that is many thousands of years old. Piloted by Kara Zor-El, it crash-landed near the North Pole in present day Canada over 18,000 years ago during Krypton's period of colonial expansionism.
Man of SteelEdit
After colonial policies were abandoned, it lay dormant on Earth for centuries until it was discovered by Dr. Emil Hamilton, the United States and Canadian militaries. Whilst travelling in North America, Clark Kent learns of the craft's existence when he overheard Canadian soldiers talking about it and journeys to the Arctic to investigate. Once the opportunity presented itself he forged a path through the ice with his heat vision and enters the ship.
Inside, he places his command-key inside a port, activating an artificial intelligence hologram of Jor-El. He reveals Clark's origins to him and passes on advice to his son, and gives Clark a kryptonian-skinsuit telling him to set great examples for humans to follow. Little did Clark know that the activity on the ship sent a signal that was picked up by General Zod's forces.
However, Zod is stopped by Superman, and the Fortress crashes into the city of Metropolis where the two engage each other in one on one melee combat.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Lex LuthorEdit
Batman v Superman: Dawn of JusticeEdit
Subsequently following General Zod's defeat, the United States Government takes control of the ship and builds a containing facility around it. Lex Luthor manages to gain access to the site after striking a deal with a U.S. Senator with influence.
Lex later goes to the ship and enters using General Zod's fingerprints. He then gains access to the on board Genesis Chamber and uses it to re-create a forbidden Kryptonian abomination creature that he later names Superman's Doomsday using his own blood and the remains of General Zod.
After Doomsday battles Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, and presumably kills the Man of Steel, a SWAT unit infiltrates the Fortress of Solitude and interrupts communication between Lex Luthor and Steppenwolf as they take Luthor into custody.
- In the DC Comics universe, the Fortress has been placed in various locations including Antarctic, the Andes, the Amazon rainforest, a mountain on the outskirts of Metropolis and an underground complex in a mountain Cliffside. Traditionally, the Fortress is located in the Arctic.
- In the preview comic of Man of Steel the Fortress was piloted by Kara Zor-El, Supergirl and Superman's cousin from the DC Comics.
- Carla Gugino is the voice of Kryptonian Scout Ship 0344 in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. She previously worked with Zack Snyder in 2009's Watchmen film, where she portrayed the superheroine Silk Specter I.
- Fortress of Solitude at the Superman Wiki.
- Fortress of Solitude at the Superman Anthology Wiki.
- Fortress of Solitude at the Smallville Wiki
- Fortress of Solitude at the DC Database
- Fortress of Solitude at the DC Universe Online
- Fortress of Solitude at the DC Animated Universe