Scout Ship 0344, also known as the Fortress of Solitude, is the base of operations of Superman. It was originally made for Kryptonians to travel the stars and scout out planets during their time of expansion. It's former captain, Kara Zor-El, abandoned the ship after arriving on Earth, where it remained for thousands of years before its discovery and repossession by Clark Kent.
After capturing the murderer Dev-Em, Kara Zor-El was designated to the scout ship. Soon after they left Krypton on a scouting mission, putting themselves into stasis. While in stasis, stowaway Dev-Em easily picked all of them off, killing all but Kara. Ten years later, Kara awoke from stasis. She came across Dev-Em, who had diverted the ship's course to the Milky Way system. Having newfound powers due to yellow sun radiation, they fought, destroying integral parts of the ship. Because of this, they were forced to crash land on Earth, the scout ship eventually being entirely covered in ice.
Discovered by Clark Kent
After colonial policies were abandoned, it lay dormant on Earth for 18,000 years until it was discovered by Dr. Emil Hamilton, and the United States and Canadian militaries. Whilst traveling in North America, Clark Kent learnt of the craft's existence when he overheard Canadian soldiers talking about it, and so journeyed to the Arctic to investigate. Once the opportunity presented itself he forged a path through the ice with his heat vision and entered the ship.
Inside, he placed his command key inside a port, activating an artificial intelligence hologram of his Kryptonian father Jor-El. He revealed Clark's origins to him and passes on advice to his son, and gave Clark a Kryptonian skinsuit telling him to set great examples for humans to follow. Unbeknownst to Clark, his activity on the ship sent a signal that was picked up by General Zod's forces.
After Zod's arrival on Earth, the ship was reprogrammed by General Zod, who erased Jor-El's programming and attempted to use the ship's genesis chamber embryos to rebuild Krypton's population on earth. However, Zod was ultimately stopped by Superman, and the Fortress crashed into the city of Metropolis.
Creating the Kryptonian abomination Doomsday
Subsequently following General Zod's defeat, the United States government took control of the ship and built a containing facility around it. Lex Luthor manages to gain access to the site after striking a deal with a U.S. Senator with influence. Lex went to the ship and entered using General Zod's fingerprints. He then gained access to the onboard Genesis Chamber and used it to re-create a forbidden Kryptonian abomination creature that he later named Superman's Doomsday using his own blood and the remains of General Zod.
After Doomsday battled Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, seemingly killing the Man of Steel, a SWAT unit infiltrated the Scout Ship, interrupting communication between Lex Luthor and Steppenwolf, as they took Luthor into custody.
After Superman's Death
- In the DC Comics universe, the Fortress has been placed in various locations including Antarctic, the Andes, the Amazon rainforest, a mountain on the outskirts of Metropolis and an underground complex in a mountain Cliffside. Traditionally, the Fortress is located in the Arctic.
- Carla Gugino is the voice of Kryptonian Scout Ship 0344 in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. She previously worked with Zack Snyder in 2009's Watchmen film, where she portrayed the superheroine Silk Specter I.
- Fortress of Solitude at the Superman Wiki.
- Fortress of Solitude at the Superman Anthology Wiki.
- Fortress of Solitude at the Smallville Wiki
- Fortress of Solitude at the DC Database
- Fortress of Solitude at the DC Universe Online
- Fortress of Solitude at the DC Animated Universe
- ↑ Man of Steel Prequel
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Goyer, David S., Nolan, Christopher (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (June 14, 2013). Man of Steel.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Goyer, David S., Terrio, Chris (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (March 25, 2016). Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- ↑ Terrio, Chris, Whedon, Joss (writers) & Snyder, Zack (director) (November 17, 2017). Justice League.