This article contains spoilers from the most recent DCEU film. You have been warned.
Antiope was the former general of the Amazons, sister of Queen Hippolyta, as well as the aunt of Princess Diana. She was extolled by Hippolyta as the greatest warrior in the history of the Amazons. Antiope personally mentored her beloved niece Diana in combat training for centuries leading up her death. She perished during the German invasion of Themyscira, sacrificing herself to save Diana's life during the attack.
Shortly after Zeus presumably created humanity, his malevolent son, Ares, would attempt tocorrupt them, fueling humanity with rage, hate, and bloodlust. As a result, Zeus created the Amazons as a way to help guide humanity and spread love.
However, before Diana was born, Antiope and her fellow Amazons allied themselves with the Olympian Gods, Mankind, the Atlanteans and the Green Lantern corps to fight Steppenwolf, who had come to conquer and remake the Earth into a planet similar to Apokolips, under the command of Darkseid. The war was eventually won by the alliance and Steppenwolf's army retreated, leaving the three Mother Boxes behind. The boxes were left under the control of Mankind, the Amazons and the Atlanteans.
Escaping Slavery and Moving to Themyscira
Ares, however, would not be hindered, and induced war among humanity again, which lead to them warring with the Amazons, and at the time, unknown to the other Olympians, briefly made slaves of them. Antiope and her sister Hippolyta, however, fought back against their captor(s), and succeeded in freeing their people. Ares would soon turn on the other Gods themselves for aiding the Amazons. These events took place after the first war with Steppenwolf.
So, Ares, after the war with the army of Apokolips, rebelled against his own father as well as the other Olympian Gods for not sharing his bloodlust and anti-human sentiment. Then ushered into the devastating War of the Gods against all of them, killing his divine family off one by one, until only Zeus himself remained. Zeus then went on to face Ares in combat, and was able to defeat and banish Ares from Olympus. In order to account for the possibility of losing his life in the war, Zeus conceived a demigod child with Antiope's sister, a child capable of one day defeating and killing Ares (therefore known as the "Godkiller"), a daughter named Diana.
Zeus, weakened, used the last of his divine powers to created the paradise island of Themyscira as a safe haven for the newly freed Amazons lead by Antiope and Hippolyta, using divine magic to conceal it from Ares, ensuring that the Godkiller Diana would grow up safely.
Millennia after the War of the Gods, Antiope served under Queen Hippolyta and oversaw the military force of the Amazons as their General, alongside Lieutenant Menalippe in preparation for the eventual return of Ares. She urged Hippolyta to let Diana to train her as an Amazon warrior and discover her true power. Despite her sister's disapproval, she trained Diana in secret from girlhood to her youth and constantly urged her to stop holding back. Eventually, Hippolyta discovered their training and expressed her worries about Diana's fate. Despite her frustration, Hippolyta told Antiope to train Diana harder than any Amazon before her. Antiope continued to train Diana into her adulthood, mastering her warrior skills. Despite her proficiency, Antiope still managed to overpower her during a duel and chastised Diana for letting her guard down. As Antiope fought her vigorously, Diana clashed her Bracelets of Submission and created a massive shock-wave, knocking Antiope back.
German Invasion and Death
Later, as German forces invaded Themyscira in pursuit of the US spy, Steve Trevor, Antiope led the Amazons on horseback against the German attackers. She defeated several German soldiers, coordinating with her fellow Amazons. However, during the end of the fight, Antiope saw a German soldier firing at Diana and jumped in front of the a bullet to protect her. Lying on the beach, Antiope urged Diana to leave the island and defeat Ares, before passing away. Antiope's killer would promptly be shot down by Steve.
Antiope is an extremely capable and skilled leader, as well as an equally courageous warrior, evident in how she saved her fellow Amazons from human slavery as the War of the Gods broke out, in how she fought alongside with her Amazons sisters during the invasion of Themyscira, and in how she sacrificed her life to save Diana. Antiope is also quite a bit more reasonable than her sister Hippolyta, since she fully supported her niece Diana's ambition to become a great warrior, training her more intensely than any of her other protegees. Antiope also seemed displeased with Hippolyta deceiving Diana about the latter's demigod heritage and "Godkiller" destiny, since as she lay dying, Antiope unsuccessfully attempted to tell Diana the truth. In addition, Antiope bore no grudge against her beloved niece for accidentally injuring her with the Bracelets of Submission shock-wave, as she didn't hesitate to jump in front of a bullet shot at Diana, saving her niece's life. Antiope did not die in vain, however, as her sacrifice inspired Diana to finally leave the island and save "Man's World" from Ares.
Powers and Abilities
- Amazon Physiology: Antiope, as an Amazon, is a very formidable being, divinely enhanced with immortality, strength, speed, and durability at superhuman levels.
- Superhuman Strength: Antiope has a higher degree of superhuman strength, which allowed her to jump higher and engage multiple superpowered enemies, such as Parademons, at once. While training Diana, who was stronger than her, Antiope could deliver powerful blows and attacks that could knock back, disorient and even hurt the demigoddess.
- Superhuman Durability: Antiope has a great level of superhuman durability in the face of sudden force trauma, suffering little harm when Diana first clash her bracelets creating a shock-wave that could incapacitate most and survive high falls, although it can be wounded by bullets and other sharp objects with enough force, leading Antiope to compensate for this by using his battle armor when the Germans armed with firearms they invaded Themyscira.
- Superhuman Agility: Antiope has displayed great agility, which allows her to jump on horseback and cut off the German soldiers before they could react properly, as well as dodge and react very quickly to their attacks.
- Superhuman Stamina: Like all Amazons, Antiope's musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than that of humans. With this, she does not need to slow down or catch her breath during battle.
- Immortality: Antiope, due to being an Amazon, blessed by the gods, had lived for millennia without visibly aging (with her predating the War of the Gods and the creation of Themyscira by Zeus), which makes Antiope an ageless immortal.
- Master Combatant: Antiope was extremely skilled, fierce, and formidable in both armed and hand-to-hand combat, a master of a vast array of uniquely Amazon martial arts, with centuries of combat experience (as she predates Themyscira's creation), with her having fought to free her Amazon sisters from human slavery, and even surpassing her sister Hippolyta in combat skill. Indeed, prior to Wonder Woman reaching her full potential, Antiope was the greatest warrior of Themyscira, with Antiope wearing an the Elite Amazon tiara to signify this, and with many Amazons, including Wonder Woman herself, becoming great warriors in their own right under Antiope's tutelage. Hence, she made short work of many German soldiers during the World War I invasion of Themyscira.
- Master Swordswoman:Antiope was incredibly skilled with swords, shown when she engage the Parademons during Steppenwolf's invasion, and later she beat a well-trained Diana while on her battle trail.
- Master Archer: Antiope was extremely skillful with bows, swiftly defeating enemies simultaneously with it.
- Leadership:Antiope is a natural leader, regarded with great respect as once she and her sister Hippolyta led the Amazons during their rebellion against slavery. Later she would become the Amazon General leading her warriors into battle, which they followed her without question.
- Master strategist:While in combat, Antiope could create clever strategies to defeat her enemies and command her Amazons to do the same in the battlefield.
- Omnilingualism: Antiope, as an Amazon, had the ability to fluently speak, read, and understand all human languages (even currently dead ones, like Ancient Greek, Latin, Sumerian, or Ottoman Turkish), as well as to instinctively identify a language's name when seeing it's written form.
- Limited durability: Antiope despite having great toughness and resistance, still was vulnerable, and could be wounded in battle when not properly protected. During the invasion of Themyscira, she was was shot down in an effort to protect Diana and perished not long after.
Behind the scenes
- On January 15th, 2016 it was announced that Robin Wright would play Antiope in Wonder Woman.